Identification of Non-Storm Water Discharges (NSWDs)
Non‐stormwater discharges (NSWDs) consist of discharges which do not originate from precipitation events (Rain). The IGP provides allowances for specified NSWDs provided they:
- Do not cause erosion;
- Do not carry other pollutants;
- Are not prohibited by the local MS4; and
- Do not require a separate NPDES Permit from the Regional Water Board.
NSWDs into storm drainage systems or waterways, which are not authorized under the IGP and listed in the SWPPP, or authorized under a separate NPDES permit, are prohibited.
Non‐stormwater discharges that are authorized at this facility include the following:
- Fire hydrant and fire sprinkler/riser testing.
- Air conditioning condensate.
- Landscaping irrigation.
- Emergency Eyewash/Shower Test Water;
These authorized NSWDs will be managed with the stormwater and non‐stormwater BMPs. These BMPs are implemented to:
- Reduce or prevent the contact of authorized NSWDs with materials or equipment that are potential sources of pollutants;
- Reduce, to the extent practicable, the flow or volume of authorized NSWDs;
- Ensure that authorized NSWDs do not contain quantities of pollutants that cause or contribute to an exceedance of a water quality standards; and
- Reduce or prevent discharges of pollutants in authorized NSWDs in a manner that reflects best industry practice considering technological availability and economic practicability and achievability.